Dependent Care Grants
Why CEDAR Dependent Care Grants?
The financial burden of dependent care affects CEDAR community members. The impact can be so great that it often prevents attendance at meetings, especially for early career scientists, which is important for the advancement and vitality of CEDAR science. The CEDAR scientific steering committee conducted a survey in the summer of 2019 and the results showed that the CEDAR community has a strong interest in helping members with dependents to attend the CEDAR workshop. CEDAR workshop attendees may apply for dependent care grants for use either at the meeting location or at home.
CEDAR Dependent Care Grants
CEDAR will offer small grants up to $400 for CEDAR workshop attendees to reduce barriers that may arise as a result of the need for dependent care.
Preference will be given to applicants in the early stages of their careers and applicants who explain clearly their need for dependent care support.
A dependent is defined as a minor, a person with a disability regardless of age, or dependent elderly.
A link to the form for requesting dependent care support can be found on the CEDAR workshop page for the current year. All applicants will be notified no later than 2 weeks before the CEDAR workshop about their dependent care grant status.
- Dependent care expenses incurred at the site of the meeting (e.g., daycare expenses, local caretaker, camps).
- Dependent care expenses incurred at the caretaker’s home, as a result of the caretaker’s meeting attendance.
- Expenses incurred in having a caretaker at the meeting to assist with dependent care.
- CEDAR attendee’s mileage and travel expenses to and from the CEDAR workshop or tickets to local museums, etc.
- Dependent care expenses at the home of the primary caretaker that would normally be incurred, despite meeting attendance (e.g., childcare, eldercare, after/before school care, or other dependent care that is provided on an on-going basis)
- Airfare for dependent and caretaker traveling to the meeting.
- Meals or groceries for the attendee, dependent(s), or the caregiver while at the meeting location.
Reimbursement will be made after all travel is completed. All expenses must be justified with a receipt to claim the grant. All receipts must be submitted to CPAESS contact (mcostley at ucar.edu) within 14 days of the end of the workshop. For questions please contact mcostley at ucar.edu.